Tuesday 26 April 2011

I've started a band - Joey Smith

My name is Joey Smith and I have started a band
MB – So Joey, you’ve just started a band, why did you do that?
JS – What! What kind of a question is that! I dunno, I guess...you don’t have much of a choice once you learn how to apply guitar at the age of 12.
MB – What kind of music do you want to make?
JS – Again, there isn’t much choice because we can only play guitars so it all comes out sounding the same in most sort of ways. Actually, it’s dirty blues rock.
MB – Dirty blues rock?
JS – Yeah, dirty blues rock. Because we can play the blues scale.
MB – How important for you is it to have a good relationship with the singer.
JS – [laughs] It’s a beautiful friendship, it’s crucial to the band dynamic.
MB – Have you written any songs yet?
JS – Yeah.
MB – What’s the best song title you’ve got?
JS – Erm.....they’ve all got bad titles, they’re good songs though. We’ve got a song called The Pervert Song.
MB – The Pervert Song?
JS – Yeah [winks].
MB – Have you got a demo we can listen to?
JS – Nope. We’re going to record it next week. Stick that in your magazine.
MB – So who are the other members of the band?
JS – Brian Beckett, the rhythm guitarist, I play lead guitar of course because I’m better. Rachel Roby who plays bass. My brother, Richard Smith is on drums. He’s younger than me but he’s got a beard so he looks about 40. Sian Williams is on vocals. She’s also of BBC fame I think.
MB – That is right, is she also a weather reporter?
JS – I think so – she was once in a Wombats video.
MB – How does your music express itself?
JS – We try to fulfil our creative appetite by producing pieces of art outwardly. It’s rip-offs of things I’ve heard.
MB – What’s the band’s name?
JS – Mystery Box. Not my idea.
MB – Like a forbidden prostitute?
JS – [silence].

No comments:

Post a Comment